Posted on by | Posted in Developer Blog | Tagged , , , ,


Recently we had a problem related Springs auto-proxy feature that I think is worth writing about.

The Problem

We use Spring as our framework of choice because it provides us with a nice set of convenience features when bootstrapping and plugging together our application.
One of these features is caching: We cache our users' roles because their definitions are stored in a pretty slow external system and change rarely.


Posted on by | Posted in Developer Blog | Tagged , ,


Today, I tried to install parts of the SpringSource Tool Suite into Eclipse Helios SR1 via update-site.
After finding the right update-site of the STS for version 3.6 of eclipse (namely: http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e3.6 and http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/composite/e3.6) and following the installation instructions carefully, I had Spring IDE 2.5.2 successfully integrated.
But after restarting eclipse I was shocked, it seemed that the update-manager broke down…
when opening the update-manager the log gasped out:
"An internal error occurred during: Contacting Software Sites. java.lang.NullPointerException…"
didn't sound good. After quite a lot of researching and try and failing, I was very glad to find a bug report, which mentioned that this occurs on updating Spring IDE. Thanks to Christian Dupuis from SpringSource, who provided a workaround yesterday. For some reason a second org.apache.commons.httpclient_3.1.0….jar was shipped and confused eclipse. But after commenting one of them out in "configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info"
everything was working well again.
Now I can enjoy my Spring IDE and perhaps you can so, too.


Posted on by | Posted in Azubi Blog | Tagged , , ,


Auf der Suche nach "dem Ticketsystem" sind wir nach Scarab und Trac auf Redmine gestossen, einer Ruby-on-rails application, die ihren Zweck erfüllt und unseren Bedürfnissen durchaus gerecht wird. Aber da Redmine glücklicherweise auch weiterentwickelt wird, verlangt auch diese Applikation hin und wieder ein Upgrade (dieses mal war es ein Versionssprung von 0.8.7 auf 0.9.4).

Das Setup:

  • Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

Posted on by | Posted in Developer Blog | Tagged , , ,


Last week I spent some time hunting down an internationalization-issue that came along while developing for a recent project. Let me explain what happened:

Message-Lookup - of course - always stands together with Locales (java.util.Locale) of the client the message is resolved for. The problem was, that messages for the English users were not resolved to the English translation, but to the German one.